Welcome to Day 2 of the 5 Day Leadership Direction Challenge: How to create a Mission Statement.
Yesterday we talked about the company vision. We saw that vision statements are created by stepping out of the day-to-day thinking and looking into the future, and asking ‘what does our company look like 5 years in the future?’ A Vision and a Mission statement go hand in hand.
Do your employees know also where management are going in the business? Is everyone on the same page?
When we talk about a company Mission we talk about how we incorporate the strengths of the people we work with, and communicate ‘what is the journey in our company about’? A Mission Statement explains the company's (or department's) reason for existence. It explains how a company provides its service. It shows the employees how they can rise to the challenge of a higher aspirational level whilst aligning and flexing their own greatest strengths to harness the essence of the company to its best advantage so both the company, and its people can win.
A mission defines answers to the following questions:
- What sort of work does the company do?
- What level of service does the company provide?
Here are some good examples of a company mission:
- GE is inventing the next industrial era to move, power, build and cure the world.
- Mazda: To create new value, excite and delight our customers through the best automotive products and services.
- Nike: To be the number one athletic company in the world
- Microsoft – At Microsoft, our mission and values are to help people and businesses throughout the world realize their full potential.
Do you have enough information now to create your company’s mission statement? If so, I’d really like to hear what you’ve come up with. Email us at email@example.com with your new company mission.
Join me for a journey to transform your business. Join our Facebook Group The Business Transformation Group. We’ll show you how to work with your business and your customers to change and transform your company.
Next, we’ll be talking about How to Create your company Values, so stay tuned by subscribing to our channel!